Text Of The Press Conference By Otunba Dr Basirat Nahibi – Niasse, Founder/ President, Women Advancement For Economic And Leadership Empowerment In Africa (WAELE/ARCELFA) To Herald The Forthcoming 2nd Continental Conference Holding In Abuja Between July 11-13, 2005
In furtherance of our earnest desire to uplift the status of women politically and economically, the Women Advancement for Economic and Leadership Empowerment (WAELE/ARCELFA) is again organizing an international conference, which is second in the series of what become one of our strategic approaches of the enlightenment, emancipation and capacity building of African women.
This Press conference today not only seeks to acquaint the media of our projects at hand and to crave for your collaboration and support in the attainment of our set goals, but also to appraise our performances. The forthcoming conference is tagged: “African Women in a Contemporary world:- Issues on Political and Economic Development”.
The goal of the conference will aim at:-
1) Articulating ways and means of strengthening the capacity of women towards economic reliance and encouraging women to abandon political apathy and join politics big time so as to ensure the defense of their rights as women in the face of inequities and inequalities.
2) To draw up agenda for the realization of the first goal and also to strategize on best possible approaches available to women and to state in categorical terms, what constitute the most viable options at the women’s disposal.
The conference is scheduled to take place from the 11th – 13th July 2005 at the ECOWAS Secretariat, Asokoro, Abuja. Many dignitaries and some notable speakers will be in attendance from thirteen countries. Hon. Minister of Women Affairs Chief Rita Akpan is expected to declare the conference open. The second day of the conference will be divided into two major sessions – the plenary and the Group sessions.
PAPERS TO BE PRESENTED
- Keynote Address by the Guest Speaker Hon. Mrs. Getrude I. Mongella, MP President Pan-African Parliament. “Taking Measures to Ensure Women Equal Access to Full Participation in Power Structure and Increasing Women Capacity to Participate in Decision Making and Leadership”.
- Follow-up report of the Bamako Conference held in March 2005. It will be presented by the WAELE/ARCELFA spokesperson Madame Gado Hadizatou Samna, Coordinator of Niger Republic.
- Madam Ndioro Ndiaye, Deputy Director General International Organization for Migration (IOM) Geneva Switzerland, The topic of the paper is “Women in Power in Africa: Challenges and Opportunities”.
- “Politics and Micro Economy as they affect the African Rural women: the case of Nigeria By:- Hon. Mrs. Esther Nenadi Usman, Hon. Minister of State for Finance.
- Senegal experience By:- Mme Khady Fall TALL WAELE/ARCELFA Country Coordinator
- Congo experience By:- YAGNEMA nee KOUMBA Anne Marie Country Representative
- Mauritania experience By:- Mme Yacine Bengue Magatte WAELE/ARCELFA Country Coordinator
- “Role of Government in Economic and Leadership Empowerment for women”. By Mrs Modupe Adelaja, Director General (SMEDAN).
- “Health Matters – Maternal Mortality and Morbidity” by
Ejike Oji. IPAS Country Coordinator.
- “Peace, Conflicts Resolution and Sustainable Development in Africa”. By Dayo Oluyemi – Kusa, Director – External Conflict prevention, management and resolution – presidency.
- There will equally be some highlights presentations by ECOWAS, NEPAD and UNIFEM.
Awards will be given to some illustrious sons and daughters of Africa during the African Women Gala/Award Night on the 11th July 2005 at the Congress Hall of Nicon Hilton Hotel Abuja.
While looking forward to your support during and after this conference, please accept the assurance of my highest esteem.
THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS.