Speech Delivered By Otunba Dr. Basirat Nahibi – Niasse Founder/President Of Women Advancement For Economic And Leadership Empowerment In Africa (WAELE/ARCELFA) On The Occasion Of Presentation Of Equipment To The Organisation Members In Borno State On 12th October, 2004
Your Excellency the Executive Governor of Borno State, Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, members of Borno State Executive council, women of Borno State here today, good afternoon.
We the Executive members of Women Advancement for Economic and Leadership Empowerment in Africa (WAELE/ARCELFA) are here in Maiduguri, Borno State capital today to present equipments to members of our Organisation.
We know that Government alone cannot provide everything; we all have to contribute to the development of our Country. It was because of this reason that, Women Advancement for Economic and Leadership Empowerment in Africa (WAELE/ARCELFA) was founded on 8th May, 2004.
OUR MISSION is to strive to unify various groups and provide a stronger voice towards meeting African Women’s aspirations. Our long term objective is to have a strong, virile and committed organization that will continue to champion the sustainable emancipation of African Women.
Our Aims & Objectives among others are:
- To assist African rural women to organize themselves and improve on their working method.
- To organize and participate in local and International trade fairs and
- To enhance their income by assisting them to acquire credit facilities and establish cottage industries for processing farm produce.
The balloting team was here ahead of us on 10th August, 2004, to choose the 6 local Governments that will be the first beneficiary of our programme, in order not to cause rancor among our members. Since we cannot afford to empower all the local Governments in Borno at the same time.
We are here today to present the followings :-
- 16no sets of 8HP Milling Machine which will enable the women of Biu LGA and Guzamala LGA, to contribute to the economic development of their Local Governments.
- 16no sets of Knitting Machines for the women of Nganzai and Konduga Local Governments.
- 10no Complete Sets of Sewing Machine which includes 4no over-locking Machine and 2no Embroidery Machine for MMC and Gwoza Local Governments is also to enhance production of our members who are into tailoring. Some of them are even planning to start a sewing institute to train other women as it is in other States
Your Excellency Sir, you will agree with us that the group of women who are beneficiaries of our programme will now be economically strong; they would be able to cater for the need of their families and the community at large.
Sir, we are aware of your noble commitment to the development of women your State. We believe that by partnering with your administration, we can reduce if not eradicate poverty, totally, in our dear country.
You can always count on our support whenever you need us while we expect same from you to sustain the growth of this young organization.
Thank you and God bless.