Speech By Otunba Dr Basirat Nahibi – Niasse, Founder/President Of Women Advancement For Economic And Leadership Empowerment In Africa (WAELE/ARCELFA) On The Occasion Of Presentation Of Equipment To The Members Of WAELE In Akwa Ibom State On 24th Of August, 2004
Your Excellency the Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Victor Attah, members of Akwa Ibom State Executive council, women of Akwa Ibom State here today, good afternoon.
We the Executive members Women Advancement for Economic and Leadership Empowerment in Africa (WAELE/ARCELFA) are here in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital today to present equipment to our members.
We know that the Government alone cannot provide everything; we all have to contribute to the development of our Country. It was because of this reason that, Women Advancement for Economic and Leadership Empowerment in Africa (WAELE/ARCELFA) was founded on 8th May, 2004.
OUR MISSION is to strive to unify various groups and provide a stronger voice towards meeting African Women’s aspirations. Our long term objective is to have a strong, virile and committed organization that will continue to champion the sustainable emancipation of African Women.
Our Aims & Objectives among others are:
- To assist African rural women to organize themselves and improve on their working method.
- To organize and participate in local and International trade fairs and
- To enhance their income by assisting them to acquire credit facilities and establish cottage industries for processing farm produce.
The balloting team was here ahead of us on July 30th, 2004, to choose the 6 local Governments that will be the first beneficiary of our programme, in order not to cause rancor among our members. Since we cannot afford to empower all the 35 local Governments in Akwa Ibom State at the same time.
We are here today to present the followings:-
- 2no Complete Sets of Cassava Processing Machine, In reference to the women of Eket LGA, they can only produce 10bags of Cassava in a week manually, but with the equipment we are presenting today, they will be able to produce 20bags of Cassava daily.
- 2. 1no of complete sets of Palm oil Processing Machine, In reference to the women of Ini LGA and Mkpat Enin LGA, they can only produce 20 liters of Palm oil daily, Excellency Sir, they will now be able to produce 400 liters with the equipment we are giving to them today.
- 15no complete sets of sewing machine which include 6no over-locking Machine and 3no embroidery machine are also to enhance production of our members who are into tailoring. Some of them are even planning to start a sewing institute to train other women.
Your Excellency Sir, you will agree with us that the group of women who are beneficiaries of our programme will now be economically strong; they would be able to cater for the need of their families and the community at large.
Sir, we are aware of your noble commitment to the development of women your State. We believe that by partnering with your administration, we can reduce if not eradicate poverty, totally, in our dear country.
You can always count on our support whenever you need us while we expect same from you to sustain the growth of this young organization.
Thank you and God bless.